[labnetwork] cost recovery

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Wed Mar 20 10:25:31 EDT 2013

Rick,

We have a similar notch-cap model as SNF for the same reasons.  Here is the link: http://www.engr.washington.edu/sites/engr.washington.edu/files/facresearch/microfab/docs/MicrofabricationFacilityRates.pdf

We differ from SNF as we do charge a nominal monthly/daily access fee to cover the cost of chemicals (including stock resists), consumables (gloves, booties, etc), and gown rental/cleaning fees, but wet processing and characterization/inspection is included at this rate, so people doing soft litho are just paying to get in and everything else is covered after hitting a very low monthly cap for the spinners.

We also charge different rates for different classes and types of equipment.  Our mandate is to recover cost on the individual tools and it is not justifiable to our auditors to charge the same rate for running a plasma asher and a DRIE since the chemical costs and turbo/pump rebuild expenses are far higher, so we charge more for the more complex systems that have higher operating overhead and demand more staff time for maintenance.  While it is much simpler to charge flat rates, we feel it is unfair to subsidize someone who is doing DRIE or Chlorine ICP with the folks running an asher.

Currently we don't charge for training labor, but users are required to pay tool time unless we can coordinate a group training session.

John, and the other site managers, I would like to understand how you charge/monitor use for wet chemical benches and chemical consumption.  Our consumption (resists, solvents, acid/base) is around $80-100K/year and climbing.  I built in CORAL/BADGER capable interlocks into the design of the benches, but the debate with our EH&S was in disabling the bench without impacting safety (e.g. ability to rinse a glove or sample) and with our staff and users on the nuisance of having to log multiple benches in and out when moving from station to station (e.g. going from develop to BOE bench). With so many users simultaneously moving in and out of the benches, we didn't have a good idea of how to manage this, so the chemical overhead is lumped into the daily rate.  This unfortunately fostered a "it's free" mentality.  I would catch a grad student pouring a liter of sulfuric to do piranha on one wafer (even though we maintain pre and post metal tanks for piranha).  Any feedback and insight on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Associate Director
Microfabrication Facility (MFF)