[labnetwork] cost recovery

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 20 12:54:43 EDT 2013

Michael, Rick, et al:

In our case, the chemical cost of a tool ... spinner, wet bench, etc. is
built into the tool cost.  (Well, approximately, we just make a ball
park estimate and lump a tool into one of our three categories.  So,
when a track is enabled, you are racking up equipment charges that
include the cost of resist, developer, etc.  Same with the wet benches
... chemical cost is included in the tool cost.  Precious metals are our
only exception to that rule (although germane cost at the epi reactor
should be another exception ...)

In terms of interlocking wet benches, we have tried to do this in a way
that doesn't jeopardize potential safety ... use of a spray gun to rinse
off a spill.  In general, we've been successful by interlocking the
level switch that is found in most hot pots ... if the tool is not
enabled, it thinks that there is low chemcial level and won't let heat
be applied to the hot pot.  For the few benches where we still have hot
plates ... I hate hot plates ... we also interlock the heater power.  No
interlock enabled, no heat.  Finally, although I can't tell you exactly
what we've interlocked, we also interlock the SRDs associated with a wet
bench.  Nobody will try to stick their hand in a SRD in an emergency
situation.

Since we have few different "tiers" of equipment rate, we probably do
have cases where we "make money" on some tools and "lose" on others.
We've always felt that tracking detailed cost on a per-tool basis would
be onerous.  Particularly because our university accounting system
doesn't provide us very good resolution in that regard.  Just
distributing nitrogen costs on a per-tool basis would be a bit tricky.
A typical dry pump used for anything other than a load lock consumes on
the order of 1 CFM of nitrogen ... at our rate, that's $4k annually.
We've certainly been through a bunch of audits ... but never been
"written up" because we don't charge a different rate for each tool.
Typically, they are so focused on the cap, that they forget to ask about
this ...

John