[labnetwork] LPCVD pumps

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri May 10 16:46:08 EDT 2013

Savitha,
    I would be less concerned with the make and model of the pump as I would be about how the effluent is being handled. LPCVD nitride is a notoriously dirty process and produces large amounts of condensable ammonium chloride. The best way, in my experience is to promote the condensation in a serviceable area before it gets to the pump. I would recommend a water cooled trap in the pumping line as close to the furnace as possible. Maintenance intervals are directly proportional to processing hours. A simple flow vs pressure test with the throttle valve wide open is a great indicator of when maintenance of the trap is needed. If you were to have a spare trap, it could be swapped out with a clean one during maintenance to reduce downtime. Soaking the trap in warm water will dissolve the ammonium chloride but be sure to do this in a fume hood since it gives off ammonia gas when breaking down.

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems