[labnetwork] LPCVD nitride pumps

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon May 13 15:43:52 EDT 2013

Savitha and colleagues,

I find myself in disagreement about the use of foreline
traps in a reactive lpcvd nitride process. Adding such a
trap, at a location between the tube and pump, requires
dealing with a can full of reactive, corrosive and
pyrophoric waste. Given the quantity of effluent, I suspect
maintenance would be frequent.

I can share the UC Berkeley NanoLab, and it predecessor the
Microlab's experience with lpcvd low-stress, silicon-rich,
lpcvd nitride. To meet the demands of MEMS research, where
we found our tube running virtually 24/7, we designed an
lpcvd tube specifically for this low stress-process. We've
run it for close to a couple of decades now with high
reliability and excellent pump lifetimes.

The salient features of this tube are:

1) An unheated manifold from the 50 mm process tube rear
transition to the pump. While the rear transition of the
process tube is 50mm the manifold is ISO 75mm and about 7
feet long from tube-to-pump. This large foreline surface
area, operating at close to room temp, does some trapping of
the ammonium chloride and DCS residues; however, it never
restricts within the lifetime of a process tube.

2) The gate valve for this process is an MKS "Jalapeno"
valve with a heater jacket”, operating at ~200C. We worked
with Tystar Corp's Henry Heidbreder to design a unique valve
that allows a small amount of pumping (3-4 slpm) while the
tube is vented thus eliminating back-streaming from the
manifold back into the process tube during wafer loading
(and thus eliminating re-deposition, a.k.a. “particles”).
One of this compound valves orifice has a self-cleaning
feature that maintains its 7 mm orifice. In addition, this
Tystar valves has a slow-pump feature.

2) We use a 200 C heated Baratron to monitor process pressure.

3) The pump package is an Edwards QMB500/QDP80. We use a
high-throughput pump stack to meet the ~140 mTorr process
pressure we use in our recipes. A QDP runs at 80 C. A pump
that ran hotter than the QDP series would likely better
serve the process. I do not know the Bush Cobra line. It may
run that hot or hotter. I know Kashiyama has a screw pump
specifically designed for lpcvd nitride.

4) The effluent of this tubes pump stack exhaust is sent
through an Edwards model 250 water-cooled abatement trap. It
has very large surface areas. It gets continuously flooded
with relatively high amounts of N2 from the pump-purge (35
slpm) while in standby. It also is connected to the house
exhaust system so it has contact with some air and moisture.
We have not found the effluent in this trap pyrophoric (we
have found it acidic). When we service the trap we isolate
it and use water to react with the solids before cleaning it.

Pump lifetime for this tube is typically 2000-3000 hours of
process run-time. For us this is presently about 2 years.
The major "down-time" issue for this tube is the rear
transition clogging up and pinching off because of the
process effluent. We use a tapered reamer to clear this
vitreous effluent and we can typically do this a few times
before we break the rear transition. At that time we replace
the tube and service the pumping system as necessary. I have
found that attempting to heat this transition to a
temperature high enough to reduce deposition destroys the
o-ring seals.

Good luck and if you are ever in Berkeley give us a visit
and we’ll do show & tell!

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton