[labnetwork] Bosch etch foreline and pump powder residue question...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 5 11:24:21 EST 2013

Ian:

While you will likely get more thorough responses from others on this
matter, let me share some or our experiences in this area.  In
particular, these tools generate a lot of polymer.  The same chemistry
that you are relying on generating the polymer on your wafers during
half of the switched etch/deposition process is also going to produce a
low-grade polymer everywhere else.  Much of the polymer that you find in
the foreline tends to be rather gummy and difficult to remove ... at
least that is our experience.  Many (but not all) machines have heated
turbo pumps and I believe that had been found to be pretty effective in
terms of minimizing polymer build up in one of your most expensive
components on these tools.  One of our machines has a water cooled trap
between the heated turbo and the remainder of the foreline ... but, to
be honest, that trap has not proven to be particularly effective in our
case.

Because the forelines tend to get pretty well coated with a sticky,
gummy polymer, we have found them to be pretty difficult to clean.  One
"trick" that seems to work pretty well in the case of the forelines is
to very carefully pour some liquid nitrogen down the foreline which will
freeze it and cause it to fall off in chunks.  This, of course, has to
be done VERY carefully due to the hazards of working with liquid
nitrogen including worrying about "burns" due to the extreme cold and
asphyxiation due to displacement of oxygen in the air.  One thing that
we haven't tried, but may be easier than dealing with liquid nitrogen is
to see whether packing a length of foreline in dry ice may have the same
effect ... dry ice has it's own problems because of it's very low
temperature and sublimation of something that can displace oxygen, but
it is probably easier to handle than liquid nitrogen.

While the polymer itself isn't wildly toxic or flammable in the way that
some of your pumps and forelines on other deposition tools are (things
that pump silane and DCS, for example) we treat all forelines very
carefully and, in particular, for anything that is the least bit
"powdery or dusty" make sure that we have adequate protection to avoid
inhaling or ingesting anything coming from these pump lines.

Finally, depending on the distance your foreline pump lives from the
main tool, you may need to consider upsizing the diameter of your
foreline a bit to help offset the constriction that will take place as
your get polymer build up between periodic cleaning.

Good luck,

John