[labnetwork] After-hours work in cleanroom and laboratories

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:23:06 EST 2013

After-hour work is very critical to turning around experiments faster
and increasing the throughput.  Issues such as equipment cost,
maintenance charges, and expiration of chemicals require that one gets
as much use out of the fab as possible.   Hence every effort should be
made to retain some level of after-hour capabilities. However, the
traditional 1+1 buddy system may not work effectively.    It is not
worth setting up an after-hour, volunteer buddy system if it is not
binding, you do not have a system to monitor it, and you cannot address
violations effectively.  A manager's hands are usually tied on the last
issue in a multi-user, community supported academic lab until something
bad happens.  Two buddies are ineffective in addressing safety issues if
they are working in bays that are far apart in the lab.  Moreover, a
buddy system does not do anything if the people involved are very
inexperienced.  Finally, the success of after-hour operations in the
area of safety depends on effective after-hour incident response.  A fab
has to invest efforts in setting up a reliable, effective after-hour
response for running an after hour operation.

I went through many iterations of after-hour work that finally resulted
in a facility that could be run all round the clock if some time
critical work (that compensated for efforts) had to be finished.  Here
are some possibilities for a experimental facility.  (1) Establishing a
larger than two buddy group (4+) with video monitoring and well
rehearsed incident response process may work. (2) It is more work for
the manager but prearranged after-hour work could be allowed if enough
sign-up to work.  (3) The fab could be opened after-hours only for
certain non- or less-hazardous processes (SEM, optical inspections,
analytical work,  putting together lot starts, some packaging/assembly
operations,  metal depositions in automated tools, some lithography
processes etc.) and make sure that hazardous operations are absolutely
discontinued after-hours.  SOP's should reflect this. (4) The fab could
be left open after-hours for specific periods such as during the first
week of the month or on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only etc to allow
catch-up work.

Some examples of "bad things" that can happen more often on after-hour
shifts:  Breakdown of cleanroom protocol,  amateurs locking up or
damaging  equipment (e.g., microscopes), rearranging work spaces,
moving or removing equipment no matter how small, unreported process or
safety issues,  pouring or mixing of chemicals,  poorly addressed  spill
or breakage, processing nonstandard  substrates or parts  (shape, size,
material) that may result in contamination, reprogramming, or breakdown,
non-standard processes (increasing or resetting temperatures, modifying
gas connections  etc.  You have to think of what may happen and set up
protocols/processes to prevent mishaps.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Pramod Karulkar