[labnetwork] ALD vacuum pump oil

Michael Call michael.call at maine.edu
Thu Oct 24 09:06:22 EDT 2013

Thank you everyone for the responses.  The system is an Oxford OpAL thermal
ald and the oil(A155) was shipped with it.  I'm not sure why they use(d)
it, but the 2063 pump is actually labeled for service with A155 oil.  Can
this pump be easily converted to run fomblin?  The Nitrogen pump purge is
only turned on during processing  and has heated forelines.   So now that I
know more about the oil I'm not surprised it backstreamed too. I was told
that all of the new systems are shipped with dry pumps now.

Mike

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Mac Hathaway
<hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu>wrote:

>  Hi Mike,
>
> This is Mac Hathaway at Harvard.  I'm not familiar with that oil, but we
> use Fomblin-type "O2 Service" oil.  What is the make of your ALD system?
> Does it use a constant N2 or Ar purge?  If not, I can easily imagine a fair
> amount of backstreaming over time.  In our Cambridge Nanotech (Ultratech,
> now) Savannah, we run 20 sccm of N2 all the time.
>
> Also, if yours is a shared use facility, never discount the possibility of
> strange things being introduced into the chamber by "less experienced"
> users...
>

> Mac
>

> On 10/23/2013 3:13 PM, Michael Call wrote:
>
> We have a thermal ALD system that has an Alcatel 2063C2 pump with Anderol
> 555(A155) oil for fluid(no turbo).  We recently cleaned the system and
> noticed oil in the low points in the chamber. Has anyone else had any
> experience with this oil?  The vapor pressure for the oil is 10^-3 mBar at 100Cwhich is fairly high.
>
> --
> Mike Call
> Research Engineer
> UMaine LASST