[labnetwork] catastrophic release scrubbers

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Mon Sep 23 14:56:35 EDT 2013

Iulian,

I figured everyone would want to see this response to your question as well.

We looked at the catastrophic release scenario when we designed the
expansion for our fab here at UofM, and by installing a restrictive flow
orifice in the cylinder (0.010"), minimizing the fill quantity (short
filling the cylinder to considerably less than a maximum), and maximizing
the dilution at the tip of the exhaust fans (using Strobic fans), we were
able to find a workable/acceptable solution.  It would take a "huge"
abatement system to handle what could essentially never happen.  It made
more sense to put our capital dollars into something that worked for
everything (the additional exhaust dilution), and share that capacity
across the entire fab.

Take care,

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those
that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."  Within
which group do you belong?