[labnetwork] catastrophic release scrubbers

Mark Heiden mheiden at engr.ucr.edu
Mon Sep 23 18:49:19 EDT 2013

Iulian,

I agree with Dennis from UofM. The scenario that is called a "catastrophic
release" with RFO's in place would require the cylinder to be dropped and
the valve broken off or the stem damaged. This essentially can't take place
in the confines of a gas cabinet but is much more likely to happen just
outside the cabinet where a cylinder could fall. In this case a
"catastrophic release" scrubber connected to the cabinet would do very
little good since the release is not contained within the cabinet. We wasted
a great deal of money and precious floor space on two of these units in our
first cleanroom. A word of caution; you may also find it very hard to make
any argument against a "safety" item once it has been suggested.

Mark Heiden
UC Riverside
Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering
NanoFab Cleanroom Manager
(951) 827-2551
mheiden at engr.ucr.edu