[labnetwork] support of High End SEM and FIB tools

Luciani, Vincent Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Tue Apr 15 08:11:00 EDT 2014

Good Morning Tom,

1.       Service Contracts:  The quality and responsiveness of the service seems to be declining.

2.       Time and materials:  OK for many tools but have not been able to make it work for high end metrology tools.

3.       Insurance companies:   Hate it.  Slow, cumbersome, ineffective.

One of the issues that continually comes up for these higher end tools is that the OEM's play games with spare parts availability for 3rd party buyers.

In general, here at CNST and at other fabs in the past, if I have spare parts and repair expertise to mitigate the risk of long down times, the internal service tech is much more cost effective and brings so many other benefits.  Of course your organizations labor burden rate is a key factor in the calculations.

For example, if parts are easy to get and/or I have (functional) tool redundancy and the expertise is in my staff or can be hired...I opt for the hire.  If I ever achieve that with SEM/TEM/FIB's and the like, I will not hesitate to give it a go.  Good topic for the forum

Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology<http://www.cnst.nist.gov/>