[labnetwork] Filtering Setup and Documentation Request for Technics Planar Etch II Plasma Etcher

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 6 18:56:13 EDT 2014

Stefan,
   Where is CO being generated? CF4 and O2 are widely used and are not necessary to abate in most localities (check yours) In most applications, general exhaust will suffice for the pump effluent. If you are processing something that will form or release CO, no type of filter that I know of will trap it, it must be mitigated downstream of the pump in compliance to your lab safety folks and local codes.
What concerns me is that you MAY have a pump that uses hydrocarbon oil and that is a potential time bomb(literally) for any system running O2, you just can't and shouldn't do it. You can send the pump to a reputable rebuilder and they can clean it and prep it for inert oil such as Krytox or Fomblin which can be used with O2 service. Most dry pumps will suffice as well.
I don't know where you can get manuals for that system but I can tell you that they are very simple and I have repaired dozens of them. If there is a particular question on this unit, I would be happy to help you with it.

Steve Paolini
Equipment Dood
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu