[labnetwork] Bending coaxial

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 17 10:21:37 EST 2014

Matt:

While our facility is older than most, we have lots of bent SS coaxial
lines.  We have a total of about 12 coaxial lines going from our bunkers
into our clean room.  My guess is that we have on the order of 100
coaxial 90 degree bends before our lines enter the building, another 100
as they are routed under our subfab, and probably another 25-50 once
they are in the clean room.  In the great majority of cases, these were
bent on a 1 1/2" radius mandel ... even though I suspect that new
facilities will have used a larger radius bender.  Note: while we have a
handful of welded tees, I don't believe that we have a single welded
coaxial elbow.

A simple test would be to bend a piece of 1/4" tubing (well, possibly
the 6 mm ...) in a tubing bender with a 1/2" mandrel (or metric
equivalent).  I presume that you are worried about kinking, but I
believe that you'll find that the 1/2" mandrel works fine on the smaller
diameter tubing and that when you are bending coaxial tubing, the inner
wall of the larger diameter tubing (which is typically 0.0.98" (over 2
mm) smaller than the 1/2" mandrel) serves as the mandrel for the inner
tubing.

At least that is our experience.  Good luck,

John