[labnetwork] Reading ventilation/exhaust

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:29:10 EST 2014

Matt:

I think that it is common, but probably not universal, to drill a hole
in a duct and then to use a hot-wire anemometer to create a velocity
profile of the exhaust duct in use.

I've attached a photo of one of our exhaust lines coming out of a HBr
cabinet.

In the upper portion of this photo, you'll see a cheap little red
plastic plug that was used for this type of velocity profiling. Nothing
special ... and if the exhaust were off, which it never is, the little
red plug is barely held in the duct.

Also, you can also see in this photo the 1/4" diameter hole that is used
for the return of our extraction-type gas detector.  If you are using or
plan to use extraction-style gas detectors, you may have a hole that
could be used for velocity profiling with a small-diameter anemometer.
Note: if this photo gets rotated, the duct should be running vertically
with the red plug above the white plastic detector return line.

Note: not all of our exhausts have been for this purpose.  Wet benches,
for example, are typically balanced based on face velocity measurements
rather than total exhaust flow.

Good luck,

John