[labnetwork] Ion Implanter Varian 350D

Bruce Tolleson betemc at rit.edu
Fri Jun 6 07:44:02 EDT 2014

We have a Varian 350D Ion Implanter.  We are using Phosphine and Boron-tri-fluoride in our processes with a diffusion pumped source and a wet backing  pump  (Fomblin serviced).   We have noticed over the years that our wet pump will only last about 4-6 months before needing a rebuild.  We check pH regularly, and flush and fill when needed.  We find that we have a crystallization of sorts occurring in the pump that is killing the pumps.

Is there anyone out there that is using this tool or this process that has had or is having  this issue and has rectified it?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You,

Bruce E. Tolleson
Rochester Institute of Technology