[labnetwork] Ion Implanter Varian 350D

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 6 17:10:19 EDT 2014

Bruce:

While it has been a number of years, we used to have a Varian 350D in
which we ran phospine, arsine and boron trifluoride.  It also had a DP
on the source that was backed by a little 5.6 CFM (as I recall) Alcatel
mechanical pump.  To the best of my knowledge, however, I don't think
that we ever ran Fomblin in that pump.  I think that we always ran it
only on normal hydrocarbon "white" oil.  My recollection, however, was
that we only changed oil in the backing pump every 4-6 months and used
to get years of life out of it.  We used to change pump oil when that
little pump couldn't hold the foreline pressure lower than about 30
microns of mercury.  I may be able to dig up some old logs to confirm
that those numbers are about right.

I also vaguely recall that we tried using Fomblin in a pump on a LPCVD
nitride system at one point, got some sort of crystallization in that
.... and went back to hyrdocarbon oil.  Note:  we DO use Fomblin in most
of our pumps that are still wet pumps so I am not "anti-Fomblin" in any way.

Hopefully someone who is a bit more of a chemist than I may be able to
comment ... but I think that it may be worth asking the question: is
Fomblin the best fluid to use in this application.

Good luck,

John