[labnetwork] Does anyone use forming gas in vacuum systems

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Thu May 1 12:23:48 EDT 2014

Bruce Tolleson,

You'll have no issues with 5% H2 in N2 in a vacuum chamber. H2 in air
has a lower flammable limit (LFL) of 4.7. The lower explosive limit is
more like ~19% in air under ideal conditions. Given a starting point o
5% H2 in pure N2 the LFL will be higher.

To adjust this for reality I'll share my experiences. I routinely used
20% H2 in N2 to seal vacuum tubes with an open flame and never saw
combustion. Ditto for 10%. These mixes were used for decades before me
in UC Tube Laboratory before I joined that group so there is a long
history of safety. Hi-vacuum brazing was routinely done under vacuum
with forming gas added as a reducing agent (and often pure H2).

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

On 5/1/2014 7:39 AM, Bruce Tolleson wrote:

> Dear Labnetwork,
>
>   I have a project that requires forming gas (5% hydrogen, 95%
> Nitrogen) for gettering to reflow metal in a vacuum chamber. Has
> anyone done forming gas in a vacuum system and what precautions are
> required for the pumping system?
>
> Bruce E. Tolleson
>
> Rochester Institute of Technology
>
> 82  Lomb Memorial Drive, Bldg 17-2627