[labnetwork] Tool PC backups / PC redundancy

P. Scott Harris psharris at trilicium.ca
Thu Nov 13 15:32:19 EST 2014

Hi,

Just my two cents since we get involved with older equipment (specifically a
line of GCA pattern generators and steppers) on a regular basis :

- PING (it's a Linux-based GPL mirroring/backup/restore utility on a bootable
CD) does a reasonable job of mirroring PC hard drives to pretty much any other
media including USB drives and network shares

- for things like SunOS on SparcStations, you can also do a mirror image of a
disk to an NFS network (there is GPL NFS server software for Windows) just using
the standard UNIX dd command. I've managed, without too much trouble, to get the
contents of two SCSI drives in an XLS Stepper into image files on a Windows
machine using this technique.

- for DOS machines running software and not talking to special hardware, DOSBox
or any virtual machine software (QEMU,VirtualBox,VmWare etc) usually works
pretty well. The backup requirements then amount to making a backup copy of the
virtual machine disk file. SmartSet analysis software for GCA steppers will run
happily under DOSBox

- you can run Windows in its various incarnations (XP,98SE etc) as a virtual
machine. I have the most luck with VmWare but VirtualBox does a reasonable job
as well. The backup requirement then again becomes just making a backup copy of
the virtual disk file. Custom hardware drivers seem to work okay, at least for
the ones that I have tried under XP but your mileage may vary. Windows software
controlling a machine won't really be 'real-time' in the same way as DOS
software so an emulation may still be fast enough.

- if the hardware interfaces are 'generic' then the virtual machine has a better
chance of working. We do an Ultratech XLS stepper (originally built around a
SparcStation2) upgrade with a virtual machine running on a Windows/Linux host
but the interfaces to hardware are just the standard serial ports and network
connections (admittedly 10base2 but there are adapters to get from coax to RJ45)

- we run PDP-11 emulations for a line of GCA steppers under DOS but the
connections to the actual stepper are standard serial ports and a conventional
parallel port to our own hardware interface to the stepper. The motherboard then
can be whatever is available (DOS will boot on pretty much anything) and backups
just involve copying files to some safe location. mTCP is modern freeware that
will set up DOS as an FTP server so that you can get files into and out-of the
DOS machine without much difficulty

- for older PC based systems (usually involving ISA bus peripherals and DOS) the
problem can generally be more about getting CPU speeds that keep the software
happy. There are still lots of industrial suppliers of motherboards with ISA-bus
support but the CPU clock speeds are the usual 1.5GHz and higher. Older DOS
software, written for 40MHz 386 CPUs (DFAS software for GCA steppers comes to
mind) can get very cranky at high CPU clock speeds. If the DOS system is doing
real time control then virtual machines may not be useful but if the priority of
the DOS emulation is high enough and the the host CPU speed is fast enough then
the virtual DOS machine might still be worth evaluating.

So for older systems (and no question that it will totally depend on the
system), it might be worth evaluating some kind of virtual machine for the PC
tools since the hard disk problems go away, disk backups just become file
backups and old operating systems can get moved from one motherboard to another
while the virtual peripherals stay the same. Some of the virtual machine
software (e.g. QEMU, DOSEMU, DOSBOX) come with virtual CPU speed adjustment
which may help in certain situations. The evaluation is pretty risk free since
most Virtual Machine software is free (VmWare has commercial software as well)
as is the software that will make image copies of the necessary hard drives.

--
Best regards,

P. Scott Harris, P.Eng.
H&L Associates