[labnetwork] Span gauge replacements for gas cabinets

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 14 10:43:57 EDT 2014

Gregg:

I agree with Dennis that Tom Britton of Critical Systems will be a
valuable resource ... they know Air Products cabinets forwards and
backwards.

We have a handful of older Air Products GS500 cabinets.  They are
equipped with MKS pressure transducers.  I think that both Wika and MKS
(and others, I'm sure) have been producing pressure transducers for uses
like this for a long time.

Pending more detailed information from Tom Britton, there are a few
things that you will need to try to match when looking for a replacement
transducer ... and all pressure transducer manufactures including Wika,
MKS, and others offer a dizzying array of part numbers and options.

The things that you will need to match include:

1. Power supply voltage.  Most commonly +24VDC.

2. Output signal: 4-20 mA is probably most common, but some systems use
0-5VDC or even 0-10VDC.

3. Compound or "normal" gauge.  In other words, does the gauge go from 0
PSIA or 0 PSIG to maximum pressure reading.  Many cabinets that have
vacuum generators will use compound gauges to be able to measure down to
0 PSIA (-14.73 PSIG) ... but your gauge has to put out what the
controller is expecting.

4. Electrical connector or "flying leads" to match what is already in
your cabinet.

5. Flow through or single-ended.

6. Weld joint or VCR.

7. Particularly for your silane cabinets, do you need gauges that are
Class 1/Div 2 rated?  That is, they can't induce an explosion in the
event of a leak.

Also, some manufacturers offer a built-in readout if you want to be able
to see a pressure reading where you currently have an analog gauge.

If he doesn't chime in on his own, send me email and I'll give you Tom
Britton's contact information: he will likely be able to short-circuit
much of your search and provide you with lots of good, specific information.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

John