[labnetwork] Venting Tools with Building Nitrogen

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 31 18:13:22 EDT 2014

Milan:

You will likely get a wide range of opinions on this issue. However, a
lot will depend on the quality of the gas that is coming out of your
system.  Telling you what I have may be irrelevant if your gas is either
much better or much worse than what we have.

We (the Stanford Nanofabrication Facility) have a single, stainless
steel 9000 gallon LN2 tank that supplies both our copper-piped house
nitrogen system and our stainless-routed UHP nitrogen system.  Aside
from the piping, the other thing that differentiates our UHP system from
our house nitrogen system is a set of A/B switchable Entegris 10M
purifiers and more particle filtration.

At the moment, we have no real-time monitoring of either system ... but
we are just about to add real-time moisture monitoring to both our house
nitrogen and UHP nitrogen in the form of Michell Pura OL hygrometers to
be able to measure moisture content in real time on these systems.
While there are clearly other possible impurities in your nitrogen, I
believe that moisture is both the most problematic and the easiest to
measure.

As far as spot check measurements, that last time that we had our house
nitrogen, UHP nitrogen, and argon systems measured (and we measured each
both close to the tank and in the clean room near the end of the
distribution lines) we observed the readings that I've reproduced in the
following table.  Note: our last spot check occurred nearly a year ago
(11/19/2013). We measured 3 gas systems (house nitrogen, UHP nitrogen
and argon both near the tank and in the clean room.  We measured oxygen,
water vapor, total hydrocarbon, and particles per cubic feet (> 0.1 um).
Note: if this table gets trashed in email translation, I'll find a way
to post it on line.

Our most recent measurements were:

Gas 	Location 	Oxygen (ppm) 	H2O (ppm) 	THC (ppm) 	Particles
House Nitrogen 	Tank 	0.58 	0.5 	< 0.01 	56
House Nitrogen	Clean room 	0.6 	0.55 	< 0.01 	80
UHP Nitrogen 	Post Purifier 	0.028 	0.09 	< 0.01 	0
UHP Nitrogen 	Clean room 	0.038 	0.098 	< 0.01 	10
Argon 	Tank 	0.026 	0.54 	< 0.01 	14
Argon 	Clean room 	0.068 	0.55 	< 0.01 	11

While our UHP nitrogen (which comes from the same tank as our house
nitrogen but goes through purifiers) is better than our house nitrogen,
our house nitrogen is pretty good as well:  less than 1 ppm oxygen and
water vapor and a reasonable number of particles ... particularly if it
is venting a particle-laden process like sputtering or ebeam
evaporation.  Of course, people tend to be more cavalier about using
"PolyFlo" tubing on a house nitrogen system which can be an additional
source of moisture at least locally. Even if that is done, if it is
downstream of a regulator, you probably won't significantly increase
moisture levels in other parts of your distribution system.

As a side note, we run house nitrogen from copper lines to our SRDs
(spin-rinse dryers) because of the high flow requirements ... that may
well cause your clean room contractor a bit of an apoplectic fit.

Of course, you would likely want to at least spot check the quality of
your house and UHP nitrogen to see if they are comparable to ours.

Finally, most things that get vented, get opened to atmosphere at some
point.  Air at 20% oxygen content and 45% RH can undo your very careful
UHP venting in a matter of milliseconds ...

Good luck,

John