[labnetwork] Silane quantity

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 7 14:32:45 EST 2015

Fab Colleagues,

I'll add, as a general policy about gas cylinder safety, given modern
gas cabinets, toxic gas monitoring systems and orbitally-welded
distribution the most likely time for a corrosive, pyrophoric or toxic
gas incident to occur is during a cylinder change-out.

My statement draws on presentations by Eugene Ngai who is often
described as the "silane guru". Retired chemical eningeer Eugene Ngai
has done an excellent job of documenting silane incidents and safety
practices.

Arguing for smaller quantities of dangerous gases is in many cases an
argument for less safety.

Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley
bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Phone: 510-809-8600
Mobile: 510-325-7557 (Emergencies only poor cell phone service in lab)e-mail preferred