[labnetwork] Printer for Photolithography Masks

Markus Kammerstetter mne at iseclab.org
Wed Jan 7 14:48:34 EST 2015

Dear Jacob,

On 01/07/2015 07:50 PM, Jacob Trevino wrote:
> Happy New Year All,
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for specs on a printer to be
> used for quick and easy (lower resolution) photolithography masks.
> These would be printed on transparencies to be used with a blank
> glass plates and standard contact lithography.  Laser jet verses ink
> jet? Resolution in both techniques these days seems impressively high
> and sufficient, but maybe there are advantages to one vs the other.
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

we have made good experiences with inkjet transparencies (for overhead
projectors) and an off-the-shelf HP photo inkjet printer.
Make sure that you print only with the black ink and be careful that the
ink is dry before removing the transparency sheet from the printer.
When using it for lithography also ensure that the side with the ink is
directly pressed onto the photosensitive coating.

We also tried the same with laser printers, but had the problem that the
toner film on the transparency was not thick enough causing UV light to
pass through which negatively affected the photosensitive coating.

The third thing we tried was a commercial (very large) Agfa Advantage
laser fotosetter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_to_plate) that
also outputs films.
The films it produced had by far the highest quality, but if you don't
happen to have one of these huge machines nearby they are out of the
question.

Markus

> Best regards, Jacob
>

> --------------------------------
> Jacob Trevino, PhD NanoFabrication
> Facility Director The City University of New York (CUNY) Advanced
> Science Research Center (ASRC) Tel.  (646) 664-9468 Cel.  (646)
> 629-1179 Email:
> Jacob.Trevino at asrc.cuny.edu<mailto:Jacob.Trevino at asrc.cuny.edu> Web:
> http://asrc.cuny.edu/

DI. Markus Kammerstetter