[labnetwork] Silane quantity

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:26:26 EST 2015

A couple of items that no one has yet mentioned, or at least I haven't seen
them, are;

1) The installation of an RFO (Restrictive Flow Orifice) at the cylinder
connection.  This is just another level of protection/safety, that
minimizes the exposure risk in the event that there is a failure.
Especially in the higher cylinder pressure gases, like Silane, Arsine, and
Phosphine.  These can be either installed at your vendors facility (best
practice, but you have to be confident of the size), or can be installed at
the time of cylinder installation.

2) The use of DISS cylinder connections for all HPM gases, versus the use
of CGA.  The DISS, with it's gasket interface, is by far the best choice
for any HPM gas.

About two years ago we were visited/audited by DHS because of the
combination of gases we had on hand.  It wasn't the pure gases that put us
on the list, but the premixes for the HPM's, the Silane/Phosphine dopants
to be exact.  There were some additional things we had to do to become
"more compliant" (three levels of security on the cylinders, primary key
card access, chain of custody documentation, limiting the number of
individuals that can access cylinders, etc..), all of them were relatively
small changes in our "handling of HPM's, and some we already had in place.

DennisSchweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those
that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."  Within
which group do you belong?