[labnetwork] Oxidation Furnaces Time/Temperature

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 6 16:53:37 EDT 2015

Dear Kamal,

I would stay away from oxidation times that are too short. Five minutes seems extremely short to me; I would probably keep it to a minimum of 15-20 minutes, if not more.

You might be able to improve repeatability in the achievement of “minimum thickness” oxides by diluting your O2 with UHP N2. For instance, you can try flowing a ratio of 1:1 O2 to N2 during the oxidation step and seeing how that compares with the oxide thickness achieved with 100% O2. You can then try other ratios depending on the results achieved. For each given condition, I would run at least 2-3 test runs to confirm stability/repeatability at that specific condition before experimenting with another condition (remember to only change one furnace variable at a time for each test run). Good luck.

Best regards,
Vito
--
Vito Logiudice  P.Eng.