[labnetwork] Cost of infrastructure operating and maintenance costs

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 7 18:44:30 EDT 2015

Vito:

While I'm not sure that I have any of the specific numbers that you are
seeking, I do have reasonably precise building-wide utility consumption
numbers.  While these include office spaces and about a dozen small,
private labs, it is safe to assume that our 10,000 sq. ft. clean room is
the dominant consumer of all of these utilities. Note: we don't directly
pay for any of these utilities: they are taken out of the ~60% overhead
rate paid by all federally-sponsored and non-Stanford research
activity.  The most recent month for which I have numbers is March 2015
but that is probably a pretty typical month.

Chilled water: 154,562 ton-hours @ $0.6205 per ton-hour = $95,906.
Electricity: 602,402 kWh @ $0.1384 per kWh = $83,372.
Hot water: 620,484 kBtu @ 39.95 per 1000 kBtu = $24,540.
Domestic water: 556,662 gal @ $11.29 per 1000 gal = $6,285.
Waste sewer: 556,662 gal @ $6.14 per 1000 gal = $3,418.

Total monthly building energy cost: $213,521.  While I don't know for
certain, my guess is that our 10,000 sq ft clean room consumes 60-70% of
most of the above categories for either powering/heating/cooling the
tools themselves or pushing 600,000 CFM of temperature-controlled air
through the space.

As I indicated, we don't actually pay that directly, but it comes out of
indirect costs of 60% that are paid by all federally-sponsored and
non-Stanford research activity.  Also, the School of Engineering gets a
baseline electrical allocation and does pay for any excess usage beyond
the baseline and also gets a "rebate" for any amount under the baseline
usage.  That is the incentive to save energy and will likely be extended
to chilled water, hot water, and domestic water usage in the near future.

Note: our lab is also not charged for the monthly DI service contact,
maintenance of our CDA compressors, or maintenance of our TGO sensors
... those are all deemed to be a facility cost and are not charged
directly to a research group or service center.

I must confess that I am not familiar with the some of the terms on your
list:  in particular, mechanical and electrical distribution are new
terms to me.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

John