[labnetwork] Fwd: Cost of infrastructure operating and maintenance costs

Ian Harvey IRHarvey at eng.utah.edu
Wed Jul 8 11:32:41 EDT 2015

Dear Vito, Noah, John and colleagues,

Thank you for your question and inputs on this topic.

I would like to further explore the financial implications of what makes facilities sink or swim in the next UGIM, June, 2016.

A very practical aspect potentially benefitting all facilities, is the data and information that helps each of us justify our existence and our subsidies to our benefactors and stakeholders.  Comparisons to other facilities should be enlightening and benefit the annual ritual of budgeting and groveling.

With that in mind, UGIM '16 is seeking a group of collaborators who would be willing to design, assemble a formal survey, and then present the compilation of best/typical practices with regard to facility subsidies and personnel subsidies, perhaps as a ratio to operating expenses a/or on-campus and off-campus revenues.  We expect this discussion will help all facilities convey the message of the real costs of these facilities.  The goal would be to provide information sufficient for each facility to convey to their own institution an expectation for an on-going base budget, rather than having to grovel for a subsidy every year, each time facing the scorn of not being "self-sustaining" in revenue.  What does self-sustaining even mean, given the extensive facilities subsidies that we usually take for granted, per the below thread?

We have enjoyed multiple presentations in past UGIMs regarding comparative analysis of user facility billing systems, cost recovery and cost of research.  There will be room for one more talk on that subject in UGIM '16 (Dennis Grimard and Sandrine Martin have volunteered).  Otherwise we are dedicating a full session to the general topic of financial sustainability, including the survey of institutional operational subsidies, and also generating new sources of revenue in the face of declining state and federal subsidies.

With just under a year to go to UGIM '16, such a systematic study will require coordination, planning and execution.  Perhaps this could be the basis of a document that could be updated for every UGIM?  Any volunteers?

thanks,

—Ian

Ian R. Harvey, Ph.D.

Associate Director
Utah Nanofab
Cleanroom Fabrication and Surface Analysis & nano-scale Imaging
801/585-6162 (voicemail)
www.nanofab.utah.edu

Chair, UGIM '16, SLC, Utah
http://ugim.nanofab.utah.edu/