[labnetwork] Nitrogen Purity for Sputtering

Robert M. HAMILTON bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 31 12:02:24 EDT 2015

Mark Heiden,

The UC Berkeley Marvell NanoLab has looked into house, high-purityN2 versus
UHP cylinder N2 in reactive sputter applications.Using a RGA we see more
contamination with using cylinder N2 than our house-delivered N2. As per
your note, the NanoLab N2 is also derived from a cryogenic LN vessel. The
spec from the LN vendor gives impurities of <1 ppm.

Having said this, N2 is delivery throughout the lab is branched to
countless uses, including things like N2 blowoff guns. There is also
significant use of plastic tubing and retractile hoses, all of which are
subject to permeation. Partial-pressure laws invariably mean the N2
delivery system is subject to back-diffusion. Long-ago we made sure that
anytime a regulator goes into the N2 circuit, especially those cheap types,
it is a non self-relieving type, yet another source for back-diffusion.

As a sidebar to this conversation I question whether Teflon-PFA tubing and
the associated fittings offer any advantage over polyethylene tubing when
it comes to delivering N2 with high process purity.Teflon tubing and
fittings are subject to compression-set given time and like other polymers
PTFE and extrudable variants have diffusion issues.

Given the above we decided that in processes where N2 becomes part of a
critical thin film, we will add an N2 purifier cartridge. These typically
come as a compact SS cartridge with face-seal (VCR) fittings and can be
exposed to air, for the short time required for installation. If you pick
one of these make sure the reactive purifying material is a metal-alloy and
not an organic.

In system, gas sticks typically have a pneumatic isolation valve (Nupro)
before and after a mass flow controller (mfc). The best place to install a
purifier is in this circuit. Consider adding an additional valve to isolate
the purifier should an mfc needs change-out or have a VCR cap handy to
protect it.

Given such placement the purifier cartridge will only see the actual amount
of N2 requires by the process and otherwise remain isolated. Given good
supply N2 purity it should last a long time - perhaps into retirements?

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

Robert Hamilton
University of CA, Berkeley
Marvell NanoLab Equipment Manager
Rm 520 Sutardja Dai Hall, MC 1754
Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone 510-809-8618 (desk - preferred)
Mobile 510-325-7557 (my personal mobile)
E-mail preferred: bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
http://nanolab.berkeley.edu/