[labnetwork] Nitrogen Purity for Sputtering

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Fri Jul 31 10:28:09 EDT 2015

Hi Mark,

A couple of items to point out.

1. Using Teflon tubing in a high purity gas system can lead to contamination of your nitrogen as Teflon is permeable to gases, including oxygen, hydrogen and moisture. (See attachments) For high purity liquids, Teflon tubing is an excellent material, but is not a good choice for high purity gas. I would recommend replacing the Teflon tubing with electropolished 10Ra stainless steel tubing. The two reasons for this are 1. stainless steel is not permeable to gas/moisture, and 2. the electropolished surface provides a very smooth surface so as not to aid moisture in its ability to stick to the surface of the metal.

2. If the professor's process is moisture sensitive, I would suggest a point of use purifier like the one attached. Depending on required flow rates, the cost is going to be around $1000 - $1,500, and should last for years if sized correctly. Depending on the media chosen in the purifier, you can eliminate moisture to less than 1 ppb, or a host of other contaminants to the same level of removal.

If you want to discuss this deeper, just give me a call and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck sir!

Tom

Tom Britton
Director of Sales