[labnetwork] follow up to etch tool damage

N P VAMSI KRISHNA vamsinittala at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:08:40 EDT 2015

Hi Rick,

The issue may have been developing over a period of time and it appeared
during CHF3 plasma.

>From our experience:
1. Please chk if there were any long only polymer (C4F8) based plasma runs
done with out proper chamber cleans in between. If so, you may not observe
any abnormalities inside the chamber, in fact the chamber looks polished.
(not the combination of SF6 and C4F8 - Si etch recipe)
2. Near the ICP/antenna Coil on the top of the tool there will be a
shielding ring, check that once. If the tool is nearing the maintenance
that could have damaged and shorted. Which results in arcing.
3.Check the coolant that is going to the ICP/antenna, coolant should not
have particles. If you see any clean the lines (with N2 blowing) and
replace with fresh coolant.
4. Unplug the RF connectors from the RF generator and the tool, check if
there is any abnormal black color.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & best regards,
vamsi

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Morrison, Richard H., Jr. <
rmorrison at draper.com> wrote:

>  Hi everyone,
>

> Just wanted to update you on what we have found out about the damage to
> the Substrates from the RIE tool we have. Again the tool is an Ulvac NE-550
> high density RIE tool.
>

> First of all we confirmed that we do not have an electrostatic chuck, but
> it is ceramic chuck with helium backside cooling and stainless lift pins
> going through the chuck to lift the wafer.
>

> We tried to run Argon plasma before lifting and it did not solve the
> issue. We have also tried a long wait 5 minutes before we de-chuck.
>

> The arc damage is only seen after we run a SiO2 etch using CHF3/CF4 gas
> ratio 55sccm/6sccm operating pressure is 2.66Pa, antenna power 500watts, RF
> bias at 100w.
>

> We ran other wafers using a poly etch recipe SF6/O2 10sccm/10sccm 5Pa
> pressure, antenna power 800w, RF Bias 50 watts
>

> We are still working with the manufacturer to figure this out. Any more
> ideas?
>

> Rick
>

> Draper Laboratory
>
> Principal  Member of the Technical Staff
>
> Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
>
> 555 Technology Square
>
> Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563
>

> www.draper.com
>
> rmorrison at draper.com
>
> W 617-258-3420
>
> C 508-930-3461
>

>  ------------------------------
> Notice: This email and any attachments may contain proprietary (Draper
> non-public) and/or export-controlled information of Draper Laboratory. If
> you are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately notify
> the sender by replying to this email and immediately destroy all copies of
> this email.

Thanks & Best Regards,
*N.P.Vamsi Krishna*
Center for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE),
Indian Institute of Science(IISc), Bangalore.
INDIA-560012

*A bird sitting on the branch of a tree is not afraid of the branch shaking
or breaking, because it trusts not the branches but its OWN WINGS.*