[labnetwork] Pre-oxidation furnace clean

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 25 14:46:41 EDT 2015

Hi Kurt,

If I recall correctly from my experience working in a CMOS industrial fab many years ago, critical thermal oxidation runs (i.e.., gate oxides) had to begin within 30 minutes of the preceding RCA clean/HF dip step. Beyond 30 minutes, an additional HF dip (10:1) was required,  with no repeat of the RCA clean step deemed necessary. This could only be performed a limited number of times (3?) before the affected production lot required special attention from engineering.

I also coordinated several extended production plant shutdowns which lasted anywhere from a few days up to 1.5 weeks. In all cases, production lots at critical production steps had to be "parked" at specific process locations and always in dry boxes with constant N2 purges. We never permitted wafer batches to be parked with exposed silicon. Specifically, wafers could not be parked before a gate oxidation run: the gate oxide had to be grown before the shutdown.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Vito
--