[labnetwork] Smoke detectors in the clean room

savitha.p savitha.p at ece.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Mar 30 05:49:04 EDT 2015

Hi!

We had a fire recently inside the cleanroom and our smoke detectors did
not give any warning even though the fire was burning for ~5min before
it was put out. We currently have smoke detectors, a VESDA system
installed inside the room with 3 detectors, one at the plenum level, one
in the room and one under the raised floor (room is square shaped with
~700 sq.ft area, Class 1000).

We were wondering how the other fabs handle these kind of situations.
What is the ideal distance between smoke detectors and how do you ensure
that the smoke is driven over the detectors no matter what the location
of the fire is.

Please let us know your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks and regards,

Savitha

Dr.Savitha P,
Technology Manager