[labnetwork] Automated Emergency shutoff valve

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu May 14 22:38:11 EDT 2015

Matthieu:

While I have no specific experience with this particular emergency gas
shutoff valve, I've got a bit of experience with some things that send
remote shutoff signals to cylinders.  Before I share my experiences with
you, I want to make sure that I understand how your are hoping or
planning to use this valve.  To be honest, if all of the details have
been handled properly, this seems to be a pretty clever approach.

On what gases are you planning on using this valve?  They are clearly
advertising it for use with chlorine but it is not clear that it will
work with other CGA and tank valve configurations (including cylinders
equipped with DISS fittings).  While automated shutoff would also be
attractive with many of our toxic friends, I'd be very leery of using
this with silane, germane, DCS, hydrogen, ammonia, or methane  ... or
anything this is flammable ... for fear that the motor (which could be
in close proximity to a leak) is not designed/rated for such use and
could ignite a fire before it got your cylinder closed.

Second, is this likely to be used in gas cabinets?  And do those
cabinets already have a pneumatically controlled valve that shuts off
the gas somewhere in the pigtail before it gets to the regulator?  If
so, have you worked out the details of how this automatic valve would
work in concert with the pigtail valve both in emergency shutdown
situations and in normal bottle change events?

I do like being able to shut cylinders remotely ... in addition to gas
detection shutdowns, seismic shutdowns, and signals from fire alarms,
smoke detectors, etc., we have a total of 14 "break glass" emergency
shutdown switches scattered throughout our lab that are located in any
area where a gas leak could happen.  These just become digital inputs
into our TGMS PLC.  That gives us a convenient way of shutting down all
gases quickly and remotely .... even if a gas detector hasn't "smelled"
anything.

While most of our gas cabinets still use only pneumatically controlled
shutoff valves in the pigtail we are gradually migrating to use of
pneumatic cylinder valves.  We currently use pneumatic valves on all of
our 100% germane and silane cylinders.  I like being able to shut those
gases at the cylinder rather than pretty close to the cylinder ...
particularly since a lot of leaks occur at the CGA/DISS connection.  Our
gas cabinets have front panel selection of whether we are using
pneumatic cylinder valves or hand wheels ... so that is convenient for
us.  I'm not sure that pneumatic cylinder valves are common on all gases
and in all locales, so that may not be an option for all.  Where
pneumatic cylinder valves aren't available or a viable option, I think
that this motor drive is a clever approach and worth exploring ...
particularly if it can be use on just about any CGA connection and
cylinder valve.  I'd feel even better about it if it were rated Class 1
Div 2 so that it could be used on more flammable/pyrophoric gases ...

I'll be curious to hear if our gas handling friends at Critical Systems
and some of the other folks with much gas handling experience have to
say ... but I think that anything that allows you to close a cylinder
without having your nose 15 cm from the CGA connection is worth some
careful exploration.

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck with your
renovation.

John