[labnetwork] Sapphire substrates: precision scribe & break

Christopher Raum crraum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:26:15 EST 2015

Hi Vito,

I've had success scribing across the length of the desired cleave location
and then using the length of a hex key (1 to 2 mm) to provide a fulcrum
under the scribe line. Then by placing finger tips on either side of the
scribe (freshly trimmed fingernails help), push down evenly over the hex
key edge. By placing a gentle but steadily increasing pressure I've been
able to successfully cleave fused quartz wafers (100 to 500 um thick) this
way.

This technique is heavily operator dependent and not suitable for large
volume, but if you just need some experimental samples prepared it's a
useful technique.

Good luck!

-Chris
--