[labnetwork] Sapphire substrates: precision scribe & break

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 6 13:42:33 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I would appreciate hearing from anyone whom might be able to share some insights on how to reliably scribe & break sapphire substrates. We’re attempting to help out a couple of research groups here with such a requirement.

We’ve had success with our water-cooled dicing saw but it appears this approach leads to unacceptable materials issues. We thus find ourselves having to resort to some sort of precision (& repeatable) scribe and break technique/setup which will result in consistently smooth sidewalls.

Thank you for any insights on procedures you may be using or equipment vendors you have worked with whom might be able to help.

Best regards,
Vito
--
Vito Logiudice  P.Eng.