[labnetwork] pmma cracking issue

Mark K Mondol mondol at mit.edu
Tue Nov 17 16:26:01 EST 2015

John:

Thanks for documenting the process so well.

I am not sure that I would put this down to resist cracking, although it
might be. My first thought was a metal evaporation issue, but you say it
happens with different evaporators and sputtering systems (impressive to
liftoff what look to be 100nm lines with a sputtering system putting
down the metal).  Stress in the metal seems more likely than stress in
the resist. Almost any hotplate bake >160C should relieve stress in the
PMMA. My second thought, uniformed by any real knowledge of chemistry,
is that your Ammonium polysulfide is too base. In my experience base
solutions attack PMMA and ruin it as a resist.

The other, obvious, culprit is the He Ion Milling as it is common to all
your failures; though I can't think of a particular mechanism that would
create this fault.

In many years of ebeam lithography I have never found PMMA resist to be
the problem (i.e. it is extraordinarily stable) other than when it was
inadvertently exposed to x-rays. So I would not be looking at the
initial resist.  Baking PMMA is also a very tolerant procedure. On the
other hand your resist profiles must be suffering, to some extent, by
the exposure to heat (plasma ash and possibly He ion milling and
possibly by the metalization.  The doses you mention and development
times and developer all seem very reasonable.

Have any users examined the exposed and developed PMMA prior to
metalization?  I think that would be my first step.

Regards,

Mark K Mondol

--
Mark K Mondol
Assistant Director NanoStructures Laboratory
mondol at mit.edu
office - 617-253-9617
cell - 617-224-8756