[labnetwork] pmma cracking issue

John Watson - TNW J.D.Watson at tudelft.nl
Wed Nov 18 07:38:00 EST 2015

Hi all,
Thank you all very much for all the responses; this gives us some good ideas of things to check into.  In response to a few of the questions that were raised:

1) We have independently checked the hot plate temperatures, and they are a bit low (by ~15C), so we can try bumping the setpoints up a bit to compensate.
2) The polysulfide treatment is certainly the least standard part of our process, though it is very weak (diluted 200:1).  We are planning on adding control samples without the polysulfide soak when we do our process runs to see how much difference this makes.
3) Heating during deposition/He etch.  The samples are clipped to a 4" x 3/8" copper plate.  After the deposition the copper is probably ~30-35C; I'm not sure if the resist surface could be hot enough to crack in this case, but we will start comparing the emission current from good and bad runs and check on the stability of the cooling water to the hearth.  The gold crucible (graphite) glows bright orange during the deposition (so far I have not found any sweep parameters that can keep it cooler), so that probably doesn't help the situation.
4) State of resist at various stages of the process. We have inspected the resist after development and don't see any cracks.  Most of the time we don't check the resist after the polysulfide since we want to avoid prolonged air exposure, but we will check more into this.  Attached is an optical image of a bad chip before liftoff; given that the metal hasn't started to wrinkle I would guess the stress is not extremely high, but maybe it is high enough...
5) Stray exposure/faulty blanking.  We have seen the cracks with devices patterned in three different e-beam systems (two Vistec, one Raith with the Raith using different file formats), so this along with the fact that we don't see the cracks after developing would seem to rule out extra exposure in the EBPG.

Thank you all again,

John