[labnetwork] pmma cracking issue

Mark K Mondol mondol at mit.edu
Wed Nov 18 12:05:59 EST 2015

I too wonder if heating during metallization is the issue.

We normally do not "sweep" the beam during evaporation, we do this to
reduce the spot size of the hot metal, which is important for small
features. But I think this also means less total heat generation.  I
also evaporate metals at at least 1nm/sec. As the evaporation rate tends
to be non-linear with power I think this decreases the heating of the
substrate.  An increased distance from source to substrate will also
minimize heating of the substrate. Excess soak times may also generate
excess heat at the substrate. The most important technique, which we
use, to reduce heating is to have a "second" shutter very close to the
substrate, this shields the substrate from heating during the ramp up
and soak times.  On the other hand I have no clue why this would
suddenly become an issue for you.

I suppose you could try a test of evaporating more Au, so heating the
substrate more. Or evaporating Pt or W, which in my experience, requires
much more heat. Or, conversely evaporating a  thinner layer of Au to see
if the cracking decreases.

Regards,

Mark K Mondol

--
Mark K Mondol
Assistant Director NanoStructures Laboratory
mondol at mit.edu
office - 617-253-9617
cell - 617-224-8756