[labnetwork] pmma cracking issue

bryan cord bcord at umn.edu
Thu Nov 19 10:31:17 EST 2015

Seconding Mark here. Cracking of PMMA during evaporation of high melting
point metals (like Ta or W) has been a major issue for us, with final
results that look similar to your "before liftoff" image.

I actually had it randomly happen with gold once too, as metal had
worked its way out of the crucible during previous runs and gotten
between the crucible and the block, which increased thermal conductivity
to the cooling block enough that it took a lot longer to heat the gold
to melting point. In that case it was very obvious that something was
wrong (the crucible didn't glow nearly as brightly as it would during a
"good" run and the deposition rate vs. power was way off), but maybe
something similar but less severe is happening? Comparing beam currents
and total run times between the good and bad runs might be able to tell
you if something similar is up.

-bryan

--
Bryan Cord