[labnetwork] Thermocouple for JIPELEC JetFirst RTP system

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 19 10:50:24 EST 2015

Lino,
I have the same RTP and I have searched extensively for a second source of TC's for this system without any reasonable results. You cannot simply replace the junction wire within the sheath since it is potted inside to provide a vacuum seal. With the list of T/C manufacturers I have compiled over the years, it has been found that the cost of a Jipelec  factory T/C is about what you would pay anyone else to fabricate one.  What makes it unique is the fact that the sheath diameter is non standard for a T/C. What's worse is that it is either a "J" or "K" type (I forgot) which is rated for the temperature range of the RTP but Ideally only with momentary exposure to temperatures >900 Deg. C. This is why they open up and fail frequently. Ideally, the T/C would be of the type "R" or "S" which would last very long while sustaining very high temperatures. Unfortunately, these T/C's are made of platinum and rhodium wire and would end up costing about ten times the cost of a standard replacement. My advice would be to bite the bullet and order them 6 at a time.
Hope this helps,
   Steve Paolini
  Equipment Dood
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems.