[labnetwork] Sputtering of AlScN

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 23 23:28:47 EST 2015

Hi All,

We have recently had a request in our facility to reactively sputter AlScN,
either from an AlSc target or from co-sputtering of Al and Sc in an Ar/N2
environment.  However, scandium is not a material that we have previously
dealt with.  The various MSDS I've read suggest there is little concern over
toxicity, but I am also concerned about chamber contamination and
incompatibility with other materials.  Has anyone had experience with this
material in their vacuum systems?

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility