[labnetwork] How do you handle PDMS in a cleanroom environment?

Price, Aimee price.798 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 25 10:33:29 EST 2015

Hi Leif,
We actually have a lot of users who use PDMS for various uses here at Ohio State, including soft lithography.  We allow it in most of our tools, including our plasma tools and metal deposition chambers that are reserved for high quality contacts with the requirement that the PDMS must be fully cured.  We do allow some users to cure the PDMS on benchtops or hotplates in the cleanroom itself as well.

We have not seen any problems with it, but we are not processing CMOS type structures.  Mainly we deal with compounds III-V, III-N, ceramics, etc.

I think it depends on what kind of user base you have, but in our case it would have excluded a lot of users to disallow it.  However, we would have forbidden it if we felt that it would contaminate or found any contamination issues.

I've copied our lab manager Paul in case he may have more to add on the subject.

Best of luck,
Aimee