[labnetwork] Fluorescent Lamp Replacement with LED lamps in the Cleanroom?

Pulver, Daniel - 0835 - MITLL Daniel.Pulver at ll.mit.edu
Fri Sep 25 19:01:38 EDT 2015

Coming not long ago from an LED manufacturer

Mercury “Fluorescent” lamps use mercury excitation with familiar excitation
spectrum with peaks at G, H and I lines
http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/articles/lightsources/images/mercurylamps
figure1.jpg.  Phosphors are applied to absorb this light and re-emit at
target color spectra and can be rated in color temperature.

LED lamps use a blue LED, typically with  emission spectra in the 430 –
460nm range, with phosphors absorption and re-emission.  The phosphor blend
and application scheme is designed to meet target fluorescence and cost
criteria and also are rated in color temperature: 2700K  & 3000K (warm),
4500K, 6500K (cool).  The excitation blue light is typically not all
absorbed by the phosphors or there would be low efficiency, hence there is a
emission spectra local peak at the blue excitation wavelength.  The epi
design to emit at wavelengths shorter than ~430nm suffers from low
efficiency and is economically unviable unless those wavelengths are desired
in the product.

So, if your resist is not sensitive below ~430nm, unwanted
exposure/desensitization is unlikely.

Dan Pulver

MIT Lincoln Lab