[labnetwork] RIE of As2S3 and GaAs

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 23 13:32:28 EDT 2016

Hi All,

We have recently had requests to etch GaAs in our Cl-based RIE systems and
As2S3 in our F- and Cl-based RIE systems.  We have done minimal work with
GaAs in the past, but we have no experience with As2S3.  As you can imagine,
I am mainly concerned about safety measures in working with these materials.
However, I would also like to know about potential contamination of other
processes (contamination of Al, AlN, and Cr etch processes in Cl system and
SiO2 and SiN etch processes in F system).

Our Cl-based RIE is load-locked and the exhaust runs through a scrubber that
utilizes a combination thermal oxidation chamber and wet scrubbing process.
Despite the fact that GaAs and As2S3 form volatile byproducts, I worry about
As containing residue in the chamber and the exhaust lines.  I would
appreciate any comments you have on how to address some of these concerns
and how to handle chamber cleans when As residue may be present.

Our F-based RIE systems are not connected to any abatement systems (just lab
exhaust), so I have serious reservations about etching any As containing
materials in these systems.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments you might be able to offer.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility