[labnetwork] UGIM 2016 Call For Abstracts

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 20 21:25:00 EST 2016

Colleagues:

As you may recall, the University of Utah has graciously volunteered to
host the 2016 installment of the UGIM Symposium in June of this year.
Ian Harvey (irharvey at eng.utah.edu) is serving as the General Chair and
Amy VanRoosendaal (amy.van at utah.edu) is serving as the Conference
Coordinator.  Ian has asked me to serve as Program Chair.  You can reach
me at jdshott at earthlink.net.

Following this preamble is the UGIM 2016 Call for Abstracts. However, I
wanted to highlight a few elements of this year's conference:

The afternoon prior to the start of the "real" conference (Sunday
afternoon, June 12, 2015) , we will be holding another Bootie Camp. In
addition to presentations and discussion that we hope will be of
interest to those new to running laboratories of this type, we are going
to allow time for those from new labs attending UGIM for the first time
to introduce themselves and tell us a bit about their operational
strengths and concerns.  There is a place on the Bootie Camp
registration form where you can indicate a desire to be included in
this.  While we don't know how many new labs we will attract this year,
we hope to allow an hour for those introductions so that we can more
formally introduce, welcome,  and get to know new members of this community.

The two main days of the Symposium (Monday, June 13 and Tuesday, June
14) will have keynote and invited talks, submitted talks, panel
sessions, and topic-specific working lunches.  There will also be
exhibit space for vendors and contractors running during both days.

Finally, on Wednesday, June 15 we hope to have an interesting lineup of
technical workshops given by a number of the vendors and contractors
that have supported our laboratories over the years. This day if
optional, but free!

Following is the official Call for Abstracts and more details can b e
found at the University of Utah UGIM site: http://ugim.nanofab.utah.edu.

Finally, Ian has prepared an Excel file that is attached that includes
the questions that Tom Ferraguto is asking as a part of his Survey
Monkey poll.  The link to that poll is also included below.

The deadline for online abstract submissions will be February 29, 2016.

We look forward to seeing you all at UGIM 2016 in Salt Lake City.

Thanks,

John

*UGIM2016 Call for Abstracts*

*
*

The UGIM 2016 Symposium will be held at the University of Utah in Salt
Lake City, UT on June 12-15, 2016.

June 12: Introduction of new labs, Bootie camp, NNCI coordinating
meeting, dinner reception and tours at the Utah Nanofab

June 13-14: Conference and symposium

June 15: Educational workshops (2 tracks repeated so you can hit the
topics of interest)

The goal of this symposium is to bring together educators and
researchers involved in micro/nanotechnology management around the world
and to provide a forum for exchanging information and presenting new lab
operations and educational concepts. Representatives of micro/nano
fabrication facilities, ranging from new labs to nationally recognized
facilities, have found this symposium an excellent forum for exchanging
information. Industry/university interactions, including technology
transfer, collaborative research, and training efforts are included.
  New this year: 50-min detailed, non-commercial, educational workshops
by topical experts and vendors.

*/Abstract Submission Deadline: Leap Day!  Feb 29, 2016/*

*/Upload Abstracts here (including proposals for vendor workshops):
/**/http://ugim.nanofab.utah.edu/call-for-participation//*

*/Registration information at:/**http://ugim.nanofab.utah.edu/registration/*

/*In order to access the reserved block of rooms at the recommended
University Guest House, please *_*CALL*_* them and refer to Nanofab/UGIM*/

/*(the reserved rooms are not accessible through the University Guest
House web portal–– it will just show "sold out"): */

*/University Guest House, 1-888-416-4075 Reference Nanofab / UGIM/*
*/Please fill out the survey sent previously from Tom Ferraguto, by
JANUARY 29: /*https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/96BFZZP
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.surveymonkey.com_r_96BFZZP&d=CwMFaQ&c=lqHimbpwJeF7VTDNof4ddnO1LTp7jTaMHJ2UAxZwrfY&r=Nr-bN4Md6RTcDsx-pCbyQFkpRpOBT-uDXKAUJUpg_zc&m=x_JqxjZCXnUZsUABOf3HmvTbmXd4LZpvGb3QtnwBw7g&s=F2qmkpe0z6JDRAGqEEcrr0vRzU2wzWiykGsMgHH-Dao&e=>
*/
/*
*/(survey questions attached in .xls format if you wish to preview the
questions prior to opening the surveymonkey)/*

ugim-banner.png

      Short (~12 minutes) presentations including but not limited to the
      following topics:

      Equipment advances and tool selection (Looking for best practices
      here from facilities managers, not for a commercial solution from
      vendors)

  * Acquiring and managing mission-critical tools
  * How to fill the gap: nanolith technologies between EBL and UV
    contact litho
  * How to bring in tools when they are not sexy anymore, but badly
    needed for capacity
  * Case studies in evaluating and acquiring tools
  * How to extend the life of aging tools and operating systems
  * How to handle tools with a small user base (one PI for example)
  * Tools with small user base but very expensive infrastructure (WF6
    CVD for example): acquire/install or give PI money to have the work
    somewhere else?
  * Renting space inside the cleanroom to individual groups? How do you
    collect rent and who maintains the tools?

      Some call it marketing, we call it Outreach, education and shared
      training media session

  * How to use lab facilities to support educational programs?
  * Student MEMS design competitions
  * Teaching scaling engineering
  * Filling the experiential gaps left by formal coursework
  * Teaching DOE/SPC
  * Media: marketing and outreach materials available for others to use
    • Media: safety training materials available for others to use

      Managing exotic materials: safely enabling new devices beyond
      simple scaling and design tricks

  * Handling PDMS for microfluidics without contaminating the fab with oils
  * Managing VO2, PZT and other materials whose properties of interest
    also raise risk for cross-contamination or toxic exposure
  * Full-flow management schemes for segregating difficult materials and
    mitigating cost

      Fab efficiency and continuous improvement

  * Communication: pass downs, staff meetings: how often, how to track
    projects and firefighting, best practices for interacting with
    faculty and researchers
  * Telepresence robotics for 24/7 operations: non-hazardous safety
    buddy roles and facilitating remote communication between staff and
    researchers
  * Navigating the transition to paperless billing: best practices
  * Managing 24/7 operations
  * Managing integrated cleanroom + analytical microscopy facilities
  * Management peculiarities associated with international and remote
    facilities
  * Managing multiple processes on a couple of etch tools: user
    responsibility for monitoring and conditioning or scheduled,
    staff-driven configuration changes?

http://ugim.nanofab.utah.edu
John Shott, Program Chair: jdshott at earthlink.net
<mailto:jdshott at earthlink.net>