[labnetwork] Turbo pump failure

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Tue Jun 21 18:25:37 EDT 2016

Which turbotronik controller do you have? If it has the set of ~10 "load"
LEDs, usually one will be flashing which indicates the failure mode (table
is in the turbotronik manual). Either way, we have almost all of our pump
work done by outside vendors. For turbos, I have had good results with Trotec
Solutions <http://www.trotecsolutions.com/>, although there are plenty of
other repair companies. I believe Leybold actually does repairs as well,
although I've not gone through them. On the other side of things, I have
had bad luck with A&J Vacuum. They offer *very* competitive pricing and
lead times, but pretty much every pump we've had repaired or bought
refurbished has died in like a year. May just be our luck, though.

-Kevin

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Tzu-Min Ou <Tzumin.Ou at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> Just wanted to thank Utah Nanofab's hospitality and all the participants'
> selfless sharing. The UGIM in U. of Utah was a wonderful experience for
> a first-time attendee.
>
> Back to reality, the turbo pump (Leybold Turbovac 361 C with mechanical
> rotor suspension) on our RIE system was making a loud high-pitched sound,
> and the controller showed a "failure" status. This turbo pump has been on
> all the time for the past 2-3 years, except for few unexpected power
> outage. I am curious if anyone had this kind of turbo pump failure before?
> What would be the possible causes of the failure?
>
> In addition to that, I am seeking some professional suggestions on how to
> fix it. Would you recommend to replace the bearing by the professionals, or
> can this be done by myself (only watched youtube video and it looked quite
> complicated)? I will deeply appreciate if anyone can share the names
> of reliable inexpensive repairers and/or the vendors of the repair kit.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tzu-Min
>
> --
> Tzu-Min Ou, Ph.D.
> Lab Manager
> Colorado Nanofabrication Laboratory
> Department of Electrical, Computer, and Energy Engineering
> University of Colorado at Boulder

Kevin Owen
Senior Engineer in Research
Operations Group, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
(734) 545-4014