[labnetwork] calcium gluconate eye drops

Kurt Kupcho kurt.kupcho at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:12:02 EDT 2016

Hi all -

This question is more for the safety community.  Our students obviously use HF in our cleanroom, and we have body showers nearby with calcium gluconate gel in case of an accident.  My question is about HF in the eyes.  We teach a normal eye wash procedure of 15 minutes flush and then seek medical attention.  I do see that calcium gluconate eye drops are available for purchase, typically 1% calcium gluconate in saline.  I have read conflicting reviews on the product that it is ineffective and flushing for longer with water is better.  I assume there are arguments out there that it is useful as well.  Do the cleanroom safety personnel out there find this product as being useful/necessary and do you supply it in your cleanroom?

Thank you - Kurt

Kurt Kupcho
Process Engineer

WCAM