[labnetwork] Metamaterials deposition - Ag and SiO2

Matthew Oonk mwoonk at umich.edu
Wed Aug 2 10:28:09 EDT 2017

Hi Esta,
We both sputter and evaporate the SiO2 in our shared tools.

I have two users who do a single layer of Ag/SiO2 (~1KA each) but I don't
know anyone who does multi-layer stacks on my current tool but we had an
older tool where it was done years ago.    The biggest issues have been
pointed out already:   it doesn't stick as well to the QCM (you can try a
new crystal and Ti coat just the crystal if you want), it can get in the
system (but I don't find it too unstable or harmful to the vacuum,)
multiple coatings can screw up your ion/pirani gauge readings (that is more
an issues with Al2O3, TiO2 in my tool.)

Evap vs sputtering:  If you are looking at RF off an SiO2 target, the
sputtering rates are going to be slow (reactive will be faster, not sure if
you can pulse-dc it or not.)   The sputtered film will be denser and less
likely to be as pinholed.         In terms of evap, you get the less dense
film but higher dep rate.    Depending on your crucible size, I am not sure
about your max thickness - since the SiO2 sublimates, 1um ebeam of SiO2 may
be difficult, even with a broad sweep.

Hope that helps,
 -Matt

Matthew Oonk