[labnetwork] Sputtering CuS and Y2O3

Brent Gila bgila at ufl.edu
Thu Aug 24 09:32:49 EDT 2017

Hi Fouad,

We avoid S containing materials in our multi user tools, you will get
contamination.  Sulfur has a high vapor pressure and if there is any
heating on the sputter chimney or if you have a substrate heater, you
will redeposit/redistribute S in the system and into films.  I have
always used 1E-4 Torr as the "line in the sand" for an elements vapor
pressure vs temperature.  Below this pressure, there is a very small
amount of flux from the element source.  Above this pressure, the
element can produce a high enough flux for MBE growth.  On a vapor
pressure/temperature curve, S has a vapor pressure of 1E-4 Torr at the
50C-60C range and I would imaging that the chimney and shutter will get
hotter than that during a sputter run.

We have a Y2O3 target and we have no known issues with this material.
We do store our targets in a desiccator and Y2O3 is hygroscopic, so you
will want to keep it in a dry ambient when not in the sputter tool.

Best Regards,
Brent