[labnetwork] Table top RTP oven

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 29 17:26:59 EDT 2017

Mathilde,
   Table top rapid thermal processers are very effective for a variety of tasks. Most are powerful enough to have a ramp rate of 35 deg C./sec or even faster. The major drawback is uniformity since the gradient across the quartz lamps is generally not tunable unlike some of the larger AG units. You will need to define what type of processing you will be doing in order to make the right selection. Most units are fitted or can be fitted with an optical pyrometer which gives the most accurate temperature control over 500 deg. C. For processing under that temperature, a thermocouple is what controls the temp. We have two tabletop systems here at Hahvid, one is a Jipelec Jetfirst and the other is an MPTC. We have had good luck with both but the MPTC is easier to get parts for since Jipelec is based in France. The other difference is that the Jipelec has a vacuum chamber that can be used if you desire and the chamber is fixed with a hinged lid. I prefer the graphical software of the Jipelec unit over the other system. The MPTC has a drawer that slides out to reveal a quartz "lolipop" that can accept graphite or silicon carbide susceptors to protect a sample from excessive radiant heat. Both systems have inlets for 3 process gases. Keep in mind that you need to feed these systems with 100A three phase power.
  Hope this helps,
    Steve

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu