[labnetwork] Coating TiN or TiAlN

Jugessur, Aju S aju-jugessur at uiowa.edu
Thu Aug 31 15:43:42 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I have an industrial user in our lab who is looking into coating TiN or TiAlN: please see note below. Would Sputter technique be suitable for this application?

Any input will be appreciated. Let me know if you need more information.
Thanks
Aju

"I am looking for someone with the capability to deposit micron thick or more (up to say 3 microns)
of erosion/corrosion resistant coatings of TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum nitride) or TiN (Titanium Nitride) on polished metal surfaces.
Some of the metal surfaces will be U-shaped, possibly causing difficulties in obtaining uniformly thick layers.
The sample sizes for preliminary testing are 2-inch diameter in size.  The films
cannot taper off at the edges, otherwise the thin films will be easily removed during polishing with the forces at the edge."

Aju Jugessur, Ph.D.
Director, University of Iowa Microfabrication Facility (UIMF)
Optical Science and Technology Center
Professor Adjunct, Physics and Astronomy
University of Iowa
Office: IATL 202, Tel: 319-3532342
Labs: IATL 170, 172, 174
https://ostc.uiowa.edu/uimf