[labnetwork] PDS 2010 Labcoter 2 - Contamination Control

Norman Gottron ngottron at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 10 14:10:11 EST 2017

Hello All,

We are looking to relocate our SCS parylene deposition (PDS 2010 Labcoter 2)
system to our new cleanroom facility, and it seems wise to consider
contamination control in placing this tool.  I know that the use of these
tools is relatively widespread, and I am wondering how others handle the
particles/parylene flakes that are released when the tool is cleaned and
maintained.  We recently experienced an uptick in use on the tool and began
running thicker deposition (on the scale of microns for each deposition),
both of which have contributed to particle concerns in the area around the
tool.  Most of the particle concerns are a result of cleaning the cold trap
probe (indicating there may be a better way to do this), but we've had to
recently tear into the system and unclog the vaporizer line, which also is a
pretty dirty process.

In particular, can anyone comment on the following?

.         Is your system located in clean space?  If so, what is the class
designation of its location?

.         How do you mitigate the risk of particle release during tool
maintenance/cleaning?

Thanks!

Norman Gottron

Process Engineer, Carnegie Mellon University Nanofabrication Facility

Electrical and Computer Engineering | Carnegie Mellon University

5000 Forbes Ave

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Phone: 412-268-4205

Fax: 412-268-3497